Re: Cold

At 10:25 PM -0400 10/23/05, Rich Mason wrote:
On Oct 23, 2005, at 9:24 PM, Elson Elizaga wrote:

This is my first time to shoot in a cold country. I
might be going out under 8 degrees centigrade soon.
Any advice on what precautions I should take?

By 40 degrees I'm usually dressing in fleece trousers. I probably will also be keeping my silk liner gloves in my pack instead of leaving them in the car. I would be wearing wool socks inside my water shoes in case I get into water and need to keep my feet warm. Although layering your clothing is always smart, at 40 degrees it's hardly necessary to get all dolled up with thermal undies and such. Maybe a long-sleeved polo with a fleece or wool sweater, pullover, and a wind-breaker nearby is the best solution. If the sun is shining you may never need the windbreaker.

But make sure you have pockets in your clothing, so if your fingertips get chilly you can put your hands somewhere else besides between your legs or under your armpits. And if you get your hands wet, fall into a creek or something, get them dry as fast as possible.

I do wear a hat all the time from October until June. 70% of your body heat goes out the edge of your hairline, keeping that heat in helps to keep the fingertips warm. Don't go overboard with the compensatory calories in your diet. Although it's true that you need to keep your body fueled, to keep the core warm, gorp is probably overkill unless you're hiking and sleeping in tents.

As for batteries - my 10D gave no indication that it was unhappy about the temps below freezing, in sheeting sleet or even around 10 degrees F. But keep everything well charged, as soon as you get home, and make sure you have spares.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx 508-563-6822 New England landscapes, wooden boats and races, press photography http://www.vsu.cape.com/~elf/