Re: here's one for the consipacy theorists!

>>>Oh come on. Governments across the world have been abusing their powers for ages!>>>

Yes, this is certainly true. But, we are not talking about your country or some other country. We are talking about the US of A. We have protections in place that you might not have in place. We have a constitution and we have a bill of rights. We are different and as long as I live here, I do not need to worry about what happens over there, wherever there is.

(Snip a tad)

>>>Oh, and re the earlier email - we all knew that typewriters could be used to prove the origins of letters (not trace them though), and I'm sure that information prevented a few cranks from wasting people's time with idiot letters - just as once it was suggested that hoax bomb scare calls were recorded (here in Australia), school kids stopped making bomb threat calls to their schools.>>>

I am not so sure most people know about typewriters. And yes, in many cases, they can be traced. Law enforcement has always solved crimes by tracing things like typewriters. I am also betting that over the decades, more than just a few cranks used their typewriters to create all sorts of letters.

>>>I don't imagine it would be a big deal for the print driver to make a call to the OS and have it pass on your name, address and other info and register it in the dots - after all, mere couple-of byte long virus strings can and do run their own SMTP email programs, dredge this stuff out of your PC and use it in rather nasty ways.>>>

See, now we have added something new to the discussion: print drivers talking to the government tip line. This always happens; the conditions are changed to support equally silly what-if scenarios.

I Quipped, "Seems rather strange how much we want protection from the bad guys. Yet we do not want those protections to intrude into our personal space. Watch "them" but do not watch me."

>>why is that unreasonable? Because our leaders tell us so?

That is all we have. I still have faith. Also, I am not talking about our leaders, just my leaders.

Bob said, "I read a recent story about video surveillance cameras on the street. Something to do with homeland security. Having cameras was a great idea, just not in our neighborhood. Watch them, but never watch us."

>>>hmm, riddle me this - why is it being proposed by the various governments of the world including your own that you may not pictures of certain buildings, certain 'things' that are one day deemed inappropriate, yet scores of cameras now adorn streets everywhere - owned and operated by governments. What happened to the footage of the Brazillian executed in London - where there were many cameras around? Oh - they were all 'off line' at the time .. yeah, right!>>>

>>>An innocent dies and there was no footage.

Who knows what happen in Brazil and London? I do not live n those places and what happens there likely does not affect me. Perhaps the cameras actually were off line. Perhaps there is rampant corruption. Perhaps you know the details as much as I know the details. That is to say, we are both clueless.

Bob said, "Just more line noise and wasted bandwidth."

>>>maybe. WOuld you rather have not known about it? Might be best to pretend the dots don't exist then>>>

The dots do not matter so I freely dismiss them and their importance. The story about these dots seems familiar to me, so I will assume it is old news and something I was aware of at some level.

Cheers,

Bob