Re: here's one for the consipacy theorists!

I've heard that one can't copy currency on a scanner. So, I thought to try.

I put a $1 bill on my Epson 2400 scanner and scanned it using Epson Scan software, in automatic mode. The scanner quit. I repeated it two more times and each time the scanner simply quit. However, it did put three pdf files on my desk top. When I tried to open them with Acrobat Reader, I got an error message: (minus) -10660. So, I looked up Mac error codes with Google and found nothing. There are no -10000 error codes listed. And, all the other pdf files on my desktop returned the same error message. Finally, I deleted and trashed the three pdf scans of the $1 bill, and the other pdf files magically opened the images as usual. This scanner is about three years old. This tells me that there is something in the scanner and the Acrobat software that takes an action when either thinks one is trying to use their software illegally.

I seem to recall trying the same thing through photoshop (or photoshop elements) a few years ago. Then I received an error message to the effect that you can't image currency. But, my memory may not be perfect. This time I got no warning, except for the -10660 error message.

So, it seems to me that the government effort to prevent counterfeiting of currency may be more extensive than is being discussed in these pages.

Roger

Roger Eichhorn
eichhorn@xxxxxx