Re: Dark Images

Terry <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> And where did you learn about it? I use the eye droppers on almost
> every photo I work on but aside from that it kicks my but!

Trial and error, _Real World Photoshop 5_, _Professional Photoshop 5_,
Oleg Volk <http://www.olegvolk.net/>, and Ctein <http://ctein.com/>.
(I learned from the people directly, not from their web sites, in
those last two cases.)  I think maybe Ctein's book _Post Exposure_
contributed, not directly so much as by increasing my understanding of
tonality in printing.  I certainly don't remember which bits I learned
where at this point!

To me it's like histograms -- you spend a while playing (on a decently
calibrated monitor) and after a while you start understanding how the
histogram (or curve) relates to the tones in the photo.

I haven't taught it except one-on-one, and not very often, so my
explanations may not be the most effective.

Here's the capsule course, made up on the spot and worth every penny
you paid for it:

I'm going to teach two cheap tricks, which I *think* are enough to get
you started, doing good enough work that from there you can proceed to
learn the rest via trial and error.  These ways of approaching
problems get you started on a good broad range of the issues I've
faced with photos.

Both of these relate to adjustments in the RGB (composite) channel;
color corrections are trickier, and while they descend from many of
the same concepts, the margin of this email message (and my brain at
the moment) aren't big enough to contain them (mathematician joke).

"Trick" one: correcting density at a point.  Note that, when the
curves dialog box is up, when you click on a point in an image, the
spot on the current curve corresponding to the source value in the
image gets a little circle around it in the curves dialog box.  When
you CTRL-click in the image, a filled circle adjustment point is
created on the curve in the dialog box at the point corresponding to
the source value.  Figure out the most important density problem in
your picture, and create a control point for that problem; if it's
something that's too dark, then create the control point in the low
range of densities of the problem area, if it's something that's too
light, create the control point in the high range of densities of the
problem area.  Now drag that control point up or down (and sometimes
left or right a *little bit*) until the thing being adjusted looks
right.  Now see how bad the next-worst problem is, and repeat.
Anything beyond 3-point adjustments is getting hairy, probably won't
work well, and may be better approached using multiple curves
corrections and masking.  However, for a decently-exposed original,
you can generally do most of what needs doing with one or two points.
The worse the original image, the more complex the adjustments needed
to fix it, the more time it will take -- and it'll never be as good as
if you'd gotten the exposure right in the first place.  I have wasted
far too much of my life in Photoshop turning bad images into mediocre
images.

"Trick" two: thinking about allocating density range.  This one is
more relevant for images needing drastic adjustments -- more for
rescuing photojournalistic images than for producing fine art.  The
input axis of the curve represents the densities in your original.
The output axis of the curve represents the densities available in
your result.  If you need to greatly expand part of the input density
range, you need to compress other parts of the range, because the
output range represents a fixed constraint; you can't have more
density range than that!  So you have to rob Peter to pay Paul, as the
saying goes.  Important areas of the input range get expanded to
separate the tones enough to make them visible, and unimportant areas
of the input range get compressed to make more output tones
available.  The curve will be steeper than the default 45-degree line
in areas being expanded, flatter in areas being compressed.

All of this is easiest to do with curves *adjustment layers* if you
have full Photoshop (I don't believe Elements has them, though).
Those let you go back and alter the curves without re-processing (and
hence damaging) the image, and let you stack independent curves each
with a different purpose and *still* go back and change earlier ones,
and for more complex situations it's *really REALLY* useful to put a
layer mask on a curves adjustment layer -- that's "dodging and
burning" assumed bodily into heaven.

I'd be fascinated to know if those make any sense to anybody.