Re: ExpoDisc: Overpriced gadget for suckers?

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 06:59:34 +0100, Bob Talbot
<BobTalbot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote/replied to:

>If I didn't know you better I'd think you were only a teenager :o)

Ya ya, that's what my wife keeps saying too ;-)

>Substitute  PopStar.name for Software.name and this thread is starting
>to read like a schoolkid fanzine.
>
>Couldn't you be a little more specific about why exactly it  "Sucks"
>or is that impossible without learning to use Adobe raw first?

Well, first of all you can't open Adobe Raw straight out. I mean you
have to open either the Bridge or PS first. Then you can select to
send an image to Adobe Raw. Oh yes, you can send a bunch of images by
selecting them all then sending. However, after I do a shoot, I want
to open Capture One and there are my images ready to tweak.

Interestingly I tried some things just now I never thought of before.
I went to a RAW folder and selected All, then right clicked and chose
Open in Adobe Bridge. Adobe Bridge opened with the message No Images.
Nice.

I was only able to select All and drag and drop to Bridge, of course
after opening Bridge. Then I selected All and chose Send to Camera Raw
from the right click menu. Finally all images are shown in Raw.

Here's a good one - there is a selection box labelled Setting. In the
drop down menu you can choose Image Settings. Great. Now when you
check, it's gone to Auto settings, arggghhhhh!

So you try the little arrow in a circle and find a menu to turn off
Auto. Now in this menu you discover a choice called Save as Camera Raw
default - yay. This should be the default already

Here are a few things I discovered after playing more with Adobe Raw
while composing this mail. I admit right now that I did find ways to
make this program workable for me. In fact, I found features that make
it a good choice in some cases. But I still prefer Capture One for
it's ease of use and quickness.

- Adobe Raw can't save images as smaller previews in custom sizes.
1536 by xxx is the smallest. Looks like only choices are camera JPG
sizes.

-AR does give you the ability to easlly upscale to gigantic sizes. And
they look good too.

 - In AR when saving images you can't tell the processing status
except the small status line which is poorly placed.

- AR -You can save to Photoshop format, yay.

- AR - Not able to remove the right side settings third of screen.

- AR - Slow preview scrolling.

- AR - Why do I need Brighteness when I can change Exposure?

- AR - Vignetting and color fringing adjustments are nice.

- AR - No Soft Unsharp and no Sharpness threshold. Boo.

- AR - Camera Profile adjustment is nice.

- AR - I like the histogram display.

- AR - Can't move thumbs to bottom, they are only on the left side.
Size changes when you drag the bar left or right. Can't display thumbs
in more than one row. Boo.

- AR - For some reason, even with Auto settings turned off, all my
images looked adjusted. In Capture One, I had several that needed more
exposure. In AR, only two needed it. Most looked like they had been
already tweaked.

C1 - quick and easy tweaking of all the settings you really need and
easy to figure out. You can fill the screen with thumbs and put them
bottom or left side. Yay.

C1 - nice unsharp features, love the Soft Unsharp.

C1 - Easy save previews to any size you want.

C1 - nice status of processing, even in the Taskbar

C1 - fast and comes with the defaults you'd expect.

There are some reasons why I prefer C1 and hate Adobe Camera Raw. But
I found out you can set it up better, it just doesn't come that way,
and that turns alot of people off, including me.

--
Jim Davis, Owner, Eastern Beaver Company:
  http://easternbeaver.com/