Re: B&W Neg or Slide for Digital B&W?

"kpp@xxxxxxxxxx" <kpp@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> i was wondering...if you were to have digital B&W images coming from
> scanned media what would you choose from? B&W Negegative or Color
> Slide for Digital B&W?

Color negative would be my choice I think.  Or the chromagenic B&W
films like Ilford XP2.  Silver-based B&W loses you the benefits of
"ICE", which most serious consumer scanners seem to have these days.

> Does having 3 different channel info to tinker with offer an
> significanr advantage?

The ability to do color-rendition adjustments (as we "used to" do with
yellow, red, and green filters over the lens) at post-processing time
can be very useful.  I don't know of other benefits.

> as an aside...
>
> Starting froma greyscale image and converting it to RGB, is making
> channels into layers and tinkering with them (including blending
> modes) any good?

I haven't found or had recommended anything interesting in that
territory, but I certainly won't pretend I know there's nothing of
interest lurking around there somewhere!