Re: Gallery Comments for 2005-10-09

Peeter

I like this very much.  Reminiscent of Cole Weston's attempt to make
pictures like his brother Brett.  Sometimes these non objective views work
for a look-see then out of sight -- out of mind.  I'm afraid this is one of
those.

Talbot

Looks like a dreamer's view of what thay'd like to own.  Excellent
opportunity and well taken.  That's what photography is all about, to me.
Good framing, as a picture that brings a lot to my mind.

David Small

As titled, nothing is relevant to the actual picture.  Fine portrait of a
person, though.

Jeff

Good moment.  Interesting title, but a bedtter picture than the title.
Again, a moment to support what photography is meant to be, as I see the
medium.

Rubin

Good fun is sometimes hard to catch with a camera.  You did a nice job and
it makes me happy to look at the picture.

Jim Snarski

I like those pictures that take a moment to figure out what's in the
photograph.  I like this picture, and in fact it would be worthy to hang on
any of my friends' wall.  The lines of grasses, complimented by those lines
on the Dear's ears.  The only form, round form gives an explanation of
what's in this picture.  It fits all those 'rules' of art we seek through
our education that can aid our appreciation of this moment of some 1/250th
of a second in life we might enjoy forever.  The idea of a hunter's view is
so foreign to me, I explain to you that I have always lived in forested
areas with deer, so I think of this picture of one as a simply well captured
photograph of some of my former neighbors.

Shipman
Definately a decisive moment, this time.  Title escapes me, though and I'm
not motivated to go to my dictionary.

Museki Abe

Very Norman Rockwell.  He was an illustrator synonomous with Americana and
small town neighborhood quietitude.  Another nice example of purely good
wall art.

Emily

I like everything you do or try.  The light, it's the light that causes this
shutter release, and I simply non my head in agreement.  A moment any
phontographer with a camera ready just, simply must get.

Morely Roberts

This is one tenth point short of pure excellence.  If the camera had been
tilted just that little bit to include the whole reflection on the left,
even to cut off the blue black shadows of the forest behind the water, it would be on the best seller list in any
gallery.  I almost sold one similar at that Carmel gallery I ran.  The
photographer had made five prints of a very similar scene, with a second
Egret off to the far right and in the distance.  On the one of five, he
decided NOT to spot out some of the reeds spotted out in the first four that accented that distant bird,
because . . .  well, because as an artist he just wanted another variation.
A couple liked the print off the wall, and like a courteous gallery
salesman, I decided to show them all the prints to let them choose.
Disaster!  In that one print, Mrs. Finickey saw those extra white 'spots'
that were reeds and determined the artist's lack of consistency meant his
prints were not worth it.  Well, he was Ansel Adams' very first lab
assistant, had done some very inspiring things in his life and influenced
many photographers so had the credits; but it's just that little one
centimeter of . . . in this case tilt down that knocks it out of the best
seller bin.

What else can I say?  Thanks Andy for the gallery.

Steve Shapiro