Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 7:26 AM
Subject: Re: warer in lens

I meant slightly above the temperature of the lens. And, yes, things do dry out in a refrigerator, but the air in the refrigerator is likely to be saturated with water vapor and evaporation will be slow and essentially stop when the lens reaches the temperature of its surroundings. If you try that, put it in a sealed plastic bag when you remove it from the refrigerator until it reaches room temperature. Otherwise, moisture from the air will condense on the lens putting you back where you started. After it reaches room temperature, put it back in the refrigerator and repeat the process. It's hard to say how many times you would have to do this. I wouldn't put it the freezer. The water would freeze expanding as it does so. That might further damage the lens. An oven set at the highest operating temperature the lens manufacturer recommends might be the best bet. A discussion on the thermodynamics of the processes involved would be lengthy and possibly confusing.

Roger

Roger Eichhorn
eichhorn@xxxxxx