Re: PF Exhibits on 01 OCT 05

Thanks per for the really constructive review.
I am also relatively new to the 2x3 format. In fact for most of my 30 odd years in commercial photography, a Sinar P 4x5  (occasionally 8X10) and a Hasselblad were  were my tools of choice.

I still find that I waste a lot of pixels because I have "Square Eyes"  But I try to use the space as best I can, not always successfully.

The longer frame can be more dramatic with the right balance and lines etc. It works really well for "Decisive moments"  because of the dynamics but in more static compositions and with pictorial intent, it needs extra care... Ihave recently had a few images published in Sweden (Around the corner from you) in a very fancy magazine called "Connoiseur"  It was a story about Oman. The images had to be cropped because the format is bigger and more square than A4. And they look pretty good. (Sadly the credit is wrong and my friend, who sent the images in for me, got the credit for the photographs)

herschel

Elgenper <elgenper@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
A nice bunch this week; let´s try a review:

1 okt 2005 kl. 15.14 skrev ADavidhazy:

> The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated OCT 01
> 2005. Authors
> with work now on display at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/
> gallery.html include:
>
> Renate Volz - just before he goes to sleep...
Peaceful, lovely: a meditating cat? I´m a dog persion myself, but
this one´s irresistible!

> Herschel Mair - Tuna Catch
Dramatic perspective indeed. As an old square shooter, I think I´d
have taken a step to the left, positioning the boat above the nearest
fish´s tail fin; it would increase the tension even more, but demands
a frame with less extreme aspect ratio. I feel it´s a pity that DSLR
designers stick to Oscar Barnack´s 1914 decision to use 2:3 instead
of taking the opportunity to use a more harmonic 4:5. But that´s an
aside thought...

> Per Ofverbeck -
No comment, except that one can get a shallow depth of field and soft
background even with a small sensor digicam.

> David Small - Union Square 2
Very interesting composition! The corner of the wall, and the
haphazard white paintwork goes perfectly with the tension between the
people in the picture. Best one by far this week!

> Jeff Spirer - The Wait
Again, tension, and a feeling of mixed emotions in the subject: eager
or frightened? Keep us wondering; good images do!

> D.L. Shipman - Let the courting begin...
I can see how the situation would urge one to shoot, only I miss some
rhytm in the positioning of the birds: the "decisive moment" just wasn
´t shown. I´ve shot enough animals (photographically...) to fully
appreciate the difficulty, but..

> Morley Roberts - Chaudier Mill
Nice walls and structures. In total contradiction to my comment
about Herschel´s shot, I´d have cropped away more of the water (just
above the ice formation, making it even narrower and concentrating
more on those walls.

> Don Roberts - Bass Player
I´m a little disturbed by that cart of merchandise obscuring most of
the instrument, but obviously you wanted to get him framed by the arch.

> Mark Harris - Wall and Shadow
Honestly, I didn´t even notice that flag until I read the text. I
think you should have included just a strip more, because it´s what
lifts the image. Without it, it would have been just another pretty
but dull shadow pattern shot.

> Steve Shapiro - Presidio of San Francisco
Ansel in colour (or, rather Wynn Bullock). Very beautiful; that
misty light is what I remember most fondly from my SF visits (beside
Boudin´s bread...). This kind of imagery makes me want even more to
come back there!

> Rich Mason - Suburbia 01:42-02:40
Can´t say why, really, but I like this one a lot! Apparent
randomness but an exquisite and original composition. And the light
is just perfect! My instinct would have been to darken the triangle
of dry grass in the lower right corner somewhat, but possibly that
would ruin the balance.

> Christopher Strevens - The Girl and the Invader
Chris, I´ve understood that just like van Gogh, you "inhabit an
agitated universe". This is an intriguing image of a concept, and I
have some difficulty in treating it like the more traditional
photographs in the gallery. "Composition is excellent, lighting well
suited to the mood, textures literally out of this world"; somehow
such comments sorely miss the point of what you want to say. As I´m
writing this, I´ve just opened the link to your pages, and expect to
spend some time there.

Per

Per Öfverbeck
http://foto.ofverbeck.se

"In a world without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates"

Herschel Mair
Head of the Department of Photography,
Higher College of Technology
Muscat