Re: big deal to me this afternoon

Thanks, Guy,

I'm using my 10D for this now.  Film is a pain in the b__t!.

I use the fastest exposure time possible - not much often less than 620th but preferably more in the realm of 1/1000th. The ISO has to allow that, so on a sunny day sometimes I can get away with 100 or 200 but in foul weather it's 800 if necessary, although the 10D is very noisy up there.

All is done in Exposure Priority, so we accept the DOF that comes with those limitations.

Recently I've been getting better at hand holding my non-IS 75-300 lens fully extended, although it was a little rough earlier this summer. One of my unwitting mentors demonstrated something that has paid off - cradling the front end of the lens in the palm of the left hand to steady it and to aim the camera like a rifle. But high speed and low DOF really are key. I have finally started doing exercises to strengthen my arms so I can keep a hold on things more steadily, and also to deal with my flabby 62-year-old stomach muscles so I don't tire so easily bending over, or squatting. My germanic genes make a sylph-like profile pretty much out of the question......
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx