Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 9:02 PM
Subject: Re: big deal to me this afternoon

At 7:29 PM -0500 9/29/05, Roger Eichhorn wrote:
Emily,

They are indeed beautiful photos, precisely composed, and convey nicely the action of the moment. Now, how wet did you get and how bad was your cold after it was over? Were you in your own boat or in with one of the contestants?

Roger

Thanks Roger. I was in a photo boat. The first day the wind was almost too high and my boat was low to the water, which is what is necessary for shooting boats this small. The fine guy who was running my boat was a racer himself, and knew what was going on. His wife was a commercial photographer, too. So we worked well together. He would teach me about how the game was played and help me figure out where the good places were to shoot from, and then he could put the boat there and deal with the umpires and he knew how close we could be and still not get in the way of the sailors. He knew all the umpires, too, so they would only come and warn us if they thought we were in the way, not yell at us and chase us away.

The wind was high, so I was always drying my camera off, especially the barrel of the long zoom, which was extended most of the time so it got drops of salt water on it. The lens did too but that can be cleared up in Photoshop by pushing the contrast on the RAW capture and upping the saturation of the colors.

The second day there were three of us on a slightly larger boat and we negotiated for vantage points. The guy driving our boat that day was part of one of the teams and knew exactly what was going on every moment! What a boon! And the wind was down so there wasn't as much spray. This made the tacks much slower so there was time to react to them and get shots of them. So I concentrated on shooting roll tacks that day.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx 508-563-6822