Re: Adobe Raw vs. Capture One LE

At 06:25 PM 9/25/2005, James B. Davis wrote:
Speaking of the Adobe Bridge and Adobe Raw converter. I recently had a
chance to install PSCS2 and check out the RAW conversion. I have been
using Capture One LE for some time now and all I can say is "Adobe Raw
sucks, C1 rocks."

I've been disappointed with the new Adobe Camera Raw and the Bridge. The Raw converter isn't even as good as the free Rawshooter Essentials, which is a great program if you don't use a Mac, especially for the way it handles batch conversion. Adobe is still way behind on this.

The Bridge is incredibly slow and not particularly flexible. It has really odd behavior when generating thumbnails, like when they are all there but it won't do anything because it says it's still processing the images. I use Irfanview (once again, PC-only and free) which goes through full-size Raw images in a folder faster than the Bridge can deal with thumbnails. And you can go from the full-size image (or the thumbnail view) to Photoshop faster than the Bridge can.

I think Adobe really struck out on the new version of Photoshop, these were the big "enhancements" and they do nothing for me since there are better products out there for free.

Jeff Spirer
Photos: http://www.spirer.com
One People: http://www.onepeople.com/
Surfaces and Marks: http://www.withoutgrass.com