Gallery review

My thoughts on this week's images in the Photoforum Gallery at
<http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html>:

Renate Volz -- water has skin -- A very nice illustration of the skin
effects, you can see it clearly nearly all the way around the leaf.
Too much of the open water has sky reflection in it, which distracts
the eye some, but then both the water and the sky are pretty fixed, so
I know it's often hard to eliminate.

Per Ofverbeck -- The flower is striking of course, but what I find
especially worth commenting on is the nice tones in the background
wood and the nicely muted by not rotten-looking green of the leaf.
The water spray being so strictly limited to the flower makes it a bit
obvious that it was applied rather than natural (now, having stated it
as a fact, I'll find out :-)).  I'm not completely sure that's *bad*,
you understand.

Emily L. Ferguson -- The Spirit of Massachusetts -- Nice to see some
sailors still have to "lay aloft".  I've read a lot about age-of-sail,
particularly Navy ships, so I'm actually *less* familiar with modern
practice.  I like the waving of the banner and the top sail, and the
exposure works well in a difficult situation.  I do wish the man's
hand wasn't across his face -- not that I could probably see much of
the face in the lighting, but still.

Howard Leigh -- La Poupe -- Now *there's* a complexion!

David Small -- Street portrait -- I like the concentrated posture;
he's square to the board, arms folded symmetrically, arms and
shoulders and head all involved in holding his eyes on the board.  I
wish there were a bit more fill light into his face -- not enough to
make it "fully" lit, but *some* more.

Jeff Spirer -- New York Light -- I'm amazed how much expression I get
out of the man, who's little more than 1/4 of a very shadowed face and
a hand.  There's such a clear impression of his eyes, which are far
out of frame.  That's what really makes this picture for me.

David Dyer-Bennet -- Bee shadow on morning glory -- That'd be me.

Qkano -- Summer -- I'm not an outdoor person, so this doesn't really
exemplify summer to me.  But it exemplifies one view of summer pretty
nicely.

Laurenz Bobke -- Custom House -- I like the sunset color scheme, with
sunset-looking clouds, with most of the actual sunset color coming
from the artificial light.  And I like the use of the flagpole, and
how the flagpole, dome, and wide tall thing on the right side have
their tops all in line, a line paralleling one of the larger clouds
near it.  Most of the custom house itself seems unsharp, though,
particularly the front entrance.

Thanks to everybody participating in the gallery this week!