Re: Gallery review

18 sep 2005 kl. 19.37 skrev David Dyer-Bennet:

My thoughts on this week's images in the Photoforum Gallery at
<http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html>:

Per Ofverbeck -- The flower is striking of course, but what I find
especially worth commenting on is the nice tones in the background
wood and the nicely muted by not rotten-looking green of the leaf.
The water spray being so strictly limited to the flower makes it a bit
obvious that it was applied rather than natural (now, having stated it
as a fact, I'll find out :-)).  I'm not completely sure that's *bad*,
you understand.

Thank you!  Glad you liked it.

As a matter of fact, the water drops ARE natural; I went out into the garden just after a downpour. The wood is very old and weathered, and absorbs water like a sponge; no drops will ever form on that.

Also, there´s usually a difference in texture between a petal and a green leaf that I suppose is one of Nature´s possible strategies against getting a fertile flower soaked; water forms pearls on the petals, and the pearls fall off. In any case, this is what it looked like when I saw it...

That said, I agree with you: as long as there´s no "documentary" intent, it is OK to use a water spray, like it would be OK to remove a wilted leaf (or a candy wrapper &c). Only, I´ve never taken the trouble to do it; genuine rain is far too common where I live.

Per