Re: digital stops calibration

I fear it´s even more complicated than that....

Some time ago, I got the idea of making a zone calibration of the DSLR I used then (I´m an old Zone System aficionado since the Silver Age...).  I used the same procedure as with, say a Hasselblad: put the camera on full manual, set up a gray card in even daylight, measure it with a handheld meter, compute a series of exp time/f stop combinations, and shot away. Then I opened the bunch in PS (for once, no worries about dev temp&time, I thought).

Surprise, surprise...  Something in the camera firmware (I presume) had been VERY helpful with those "off" exposures at the outer parts of the intended scale, and "compensated" them all towards the center of the histogram.  I did get a step scale, but comprising only an interval of 3 - 4 steps.  Built-in minus development, so to say....

I gave up; now I simply trust the histogram....  (St. Ansel would have been euphoric if his 8"x10" had had a live histogram!).

Per