Re: On the Pit Bull Mix

Elson Elizaga <elson_elizaga@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Thanks to all who made reviews of my photo "The Kiss",
> which shows a Pit Bull mix. Here are some more:
>
> http://bestfriends.elizaga.net/saide/
>
> I've read several news articles about Pit Bulls and
> their vicious, deadly attacks. I'm not ready to make
> any judgements on these dogs. But there are good
> indications that trainers and breeders are to blame.
>
> Dogs have distinct personalities, though. My Lhasa
> Apso mix likes to bark to children. He jumps at them,
> apparently to declare his dominance.

I've known two half-pit and one full-blooded "pit bull", and all three
were the *sweetest* dogs.  I think perhaps some breeders are breeding
for "fighting" dogs and others not -- and I think some owners are
training for fighting dogs, and others not.  And when an owner doesn't
want a fighting dog, and gets one from a breeder that doesn't breed
them as fighting dogs, and raises it as a nice dog -- you get a smart,
friendly, very well-behaved dog.

One, that belonged to a brother-in-law, visited us over Christmas one
year, and was not only polite with the cats, but would obey *me*, who
he'd just met, if I told him to get off the couch.