Re: On the Pit Bull Mix

The people who challenge the law on Pit Bulls here in Toronto say that there is no scientific means of knowing a Pit Bull from a half-Pit, or a quarter-Pit and so on -- except, perhaps Brad Pitt. :)

If you go to the Toronto Humane Society website (http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/adoptionListings.html), you'll find several dogs described as a Pit Bull, or Pit Bull mix, but you won't see a big difference by looking at the appearance.  My friend Mandy, shown in  http://bestfriends.elizaga.net, claims her gray dog is a full Pit Bull, but there are dogs in the Philippines that look the same as Mandy's and they are called native dogs. So, who decides which is which and what is the basis? Are we going to look at the DNA?

The people who made the law against Pit Bulls didn't consult the Humane Societies here. Apparently, they don't know that dogs are most malleable, almost like clay. You can literally "invent" a breed -- and many such "pure" breeds were originally invented in Germany -- and even if it has Pit Bull blood in it, you can circumvent the law by making your dog look a bit like Chihuahua.

Woof.

Elson

David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've known two half-pit and one full-blooded "pit bull", and all three
were the *sweetest* dogs. I think perhaps some breeders are breeding
for "fighting" dogs and others not -- and I think some owners are
training for fighting dogs, and others not.

Yahoo! for Good