Re: water and compact flash cards

From the "for what it might be worth" department:

I worked in the electronics industry and we once used water to wash printed circuit boards. The wash line was large, ESD safe (grounded) and used de-ionized water in the wash cycle and hot air in the drying cycle.

Using highly compressed air can damage the static sensitive integrated circuits on a PCB. We knew this because QC measured it. So if your card gets wet, allow the card air dry.

Water will not usually harm a card. Generally speaking. What can harm a card is tap water. Depending upon the water quality in your area, it might prove to be a problem. When management decided to stop using treated water in our wash system; it was a real mess. Contaminants in the water would leave film on the gold "fingers" and inside of the connectors. It took the rework technicians longer to clean each damaged card than it took the SMT/Hardware line to build the product.

Make sure you are properly grounded before you decide to take a card apart. Depending upon the manufacturer, taking apart a card might be difficult. Some cards are glued together and some are heat sealed.

Bob