Re: Gallerie Revieu de 2005-09-10

> Please explain why you think beach sand would be
> perfectly flat like water...

Jim Davis

Phrased like that your question hardly deserves an answer.

At least I'm making the assumption that you are assuming that I'm
thinking the near bank of sand at the fishermen's feet should be
level. Which of course it needn't be.

Two things make me think it looks tilted.
1) the fishermen (who look like they are dressed to clean up a nuclear
spill) are both leaning left: they both look off-balance ignoring any
other clues in the picture.
2) in the mist at about the level of their shirt tails is the merest
hint of a transition between haze and haze plus ripples.  That it, I'm
assuming they are ripples off of water.  Are you telling me that is a
long beach stretching away from us?  Is the water behind the
photographer?

Anyway, that faint "horizon" (or false horizon or whatever) ... its
almost like some form of Mach Band  between two areas of
near-identical grey [locally it appears to be an average RGB
difference of about 3 levels.

I've tried to align the measuring tool with it but it's so tenuous: it
comes and goes as I look.  It runs at somewhere between a 2.8 and 3.5
degree slope running up from left to right.

Coincidentally, having applied the rotation the men appear upright and
the near beach too :o)

Using PhotoShop 5's Filter on the downloaded image:
Filter - Stylise - Find Edges makes it much clearer (and on my system
even finds the fishing line running down from the rod)

Actually, it does not matter
The viewer does not know the facts of what they look at only what they
are shown.

It looks tilted to me and I can't get beyond that.

Bob