Gallerie Revieu de 2005-09-10

> The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated SEP 10
2005. Authors
> with work now on display at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html
include:

*** REVIEW ***
Images discussed in this section come under the heading "Things I Call
Art".  That is, through my eyes they go beyond the mere snapshot and
selectively portray the world in unusual, challenging or aesthetically
pleasing ways.

>Qkano - No Cycling
Well, this has to be the best of the bunch by far. The author is
clearly a gifted cyclist with a defiant anti-authoritarian stance.
It's  such a simple image: contradictory in it's eponymous theme.
Despite the almost monochromatic nature of the road surface and the
bicycle, Qkano grants us just a tiny (but critical) piece of red
frame.

Both the "No Cycling" sign on the road and the handlebars of the
bicycle are frozen in time whilst the road surface itself rushes
inexorably beneath us in a kinetic blur.  I feel I'm rushing headlong
towards a clash with the civic authorities who deemed it necessary to
deny the right to exercise on that road.

>Renate Volz - Incandescence
This image exudes pure unadulterated elegance. What was it?  I didn't
really care.  It evoked feelings of a desert dunescape but clearly
wasn't sand.  Was it even a photo? It could so easily be the work of a
rendering engine.  It's parentage though does not impact on its
beauty.

I've only just read the explanation, having appreciated the forms and
tones for over an hour already.  In a way being told *what* it is
slightly weakens it's mystery ... constrains my consciousness towards
trying to see the flower I'd never otherwise have guessed lay within
the image train.

 Whilst it lacks the dynamism of Qkano's image or the ambiguity of
Pini's shot it's the most aesthetically pleasing of this weeks company
by far.

>Howard Leigh - Sunset, Normandy, Summer 2005
Howard unfairly calls this a "cliché" - in the clichéd version the sun
is central in the frame.

Looking at this picture brings back feelings of contentment as I watch
the day draw to the close on a balmy evening. The gull, flying into
the sun subtly double-underlines the end of the day - the end of the
image -  drawing the scene to a close.  Sunsets have been done before
and will never lose their innate appeal.  I suspect even in primitive
times when the fall of the sun presaged the unseen  terrors of the
night Mankind would still have looked on in awe.  Is it that the fall
of the sun daily reminds us of our reliance of it?

I wouldn't change this image.  It deserves to live as it is now. If I
would change anything I'd  straighten up the horizon. Even allowing
for the thickness of the parapet on the bridge it's not level  :o)

>Greg Fraser - Plant
Greg, the self-styled "Assistant Lord of Darkness", presents us yet
again with a dilemma.  Is this the antithesis of photographic
technique, a parody of all the paradigmatic conventions of classical
photographic technique or is it art?

Even the swirl of the left-hand  leaf-edge forms a question mark.
Greg's trademark "square but not quite square" format image challenges
the senses of one accustomed to order. The picture contains leaves,
but it's not about foliage.  Patterns are everywhere, they are
integral to the very substance of nature, but the patterns in this
image are not without discord. Greg allows extraneous detritus to
remain at the heart of the image,  To the untrained eye this appears
to be simply out of focus. But knowing Greg's corpus it clearly would
not have escaped his notice.  It's a defiant statement against
pictorialist obsessionism.  It's a masterpiece.

> Pini Vollach -
"A fool can ask more questions than the wisest man can answer" so the
saying goes but Photographically Pini is no fool.  Yes this image's
whole raison d'être is to ask the unanswerable.

What am I looking at?
What is going on?

It almost looks like a railway carriage, through the window, but I'm
not convinced.  There appears to be three planes, levels if you like,
portrayed.  The white reflection - flare on glass maybe?.  Some
seating in an empty room.  Some crazed concrete or a wall beyond.  The
absolute identity and interrelationships of the components remains
enigmatic however. Pini does not spoil the mystery with a clever
title: neither is there an explanation.  It's an abstruse scene for
which anything could be the explanation: or nothing.

*** COMMENTS ***
>Sue Butler - Colour & Movement
I though hard about whether this belonged above.  So much is right but
it remains "not quite".  Where it fell short - should I say the part
of it that held me back from being able to see the concept instead of
the structure - was in the background.  I like the flower: having it
out of focus works.  What spoils the image are both the bright
out-of-focus stems in the background and the dark area in the bottom
right corner. It's a shame: the image is so nearly right. "If only"
the whole of the background had the smoothly dappled transitions of
the background below and to the left of the flower head.

>Elson T. Elizaga - The Kiss
Everyone I know who has been bitten by a dog has always repeated how
the owner, in denial, always either insist the dog "is not normally
like that" or has gone on the offensive saying "you must have provoked
him".

Pit Bulls ... good for target practice but I would not leave them in
charge of my kids!

Oh, why I'm commenting on this.
It's not art.

When I opened it I thought it was going to be a stereo pair.  With
cross eyes, despite the obvious differences, I still get a 3D
sensation and the dog keeps turning it's head and back as my eyes
battle for dominance.  That's bizarre

Sorry: that's all I can manage.
if I didn't comment it's probably because all I could see were
structural details, such as Jim's sloping horizon :o)

Bob