Re: PF Exhibits on 10 SEP 05

Pini Vollach -
> I think this would get minus infinity in a club competition.

Chris.

Such a pearl of wisdom at the end of your review.

In my heart I'm  a supporter of camera clubs but I cannot pursuade
myself to go anymore.

On one level they *should* provide a forum for like-minded
photographers to meet, exchange tips, help and advice.  In practice
they become obsessed with competitions (inter- and intra-club) and
with that "risky" images are left on the sideline.  The sort of images
Jeff produces, seemingly effortlessly week after week would be too
much a risk.  The "scoring systems" in the competitions penalise
"failure" far more severely than they reward success.

In a system geared towards churning out stereotyped conventional
reworks of tired old themes week after week there's no space for
pushing the borders: for taking risks.

Pini's image would not do well in most camera clubs.
I'd take that as a compliment though.

Bob