JPEGs and Storing Methods was: Minilab wont read

>I've been printing from both platforms for 4 years now.  The Frontier
>machine, if it's going to use tiffs, used to want the CD in ISO 9660
>format which you can create by honoring the 8+3 naming rule and then
>assembling a folder and burning it from Toast.  With Toast on my Mac
>running 10.3 I can add files to the CD if I use 9660 and 8+3. as well

My choice of burner driver is Nero...i think it leaves a lot room/freedom for settings. I had never had problems with more than 8 letter filenames...

>If I use the mixed format choice the Fuji machines read the tiffs
>just fine but I cannot add files.  Renaming is a pain and creating
>names for the files that say something about what they are with only
>8+3 is getting to be a trick.  Since a CD with the mixed format will
>display the thumbnail in the Mac directory and the 8+3 displays only
>a generic icon I have been creating full folders lately and burning
>them in mixed format as tiffs for printing at Wally Wal*Mart.

Sorry i have no knowledge of Mac, and cannot understand what mixed format is...

>As for jpegging, PS allows a big range of loss, from level 1 to 12.
>The initial jpegging is going to lose something but opening and
>closing from then on does not discard more each time unless you
>change the file, which the Frontier machine of course isn't going to
>do, since it's only reading the file.  So there's no reason not to
>jpeg really - except for that initial loss.

Yes i was referring to that initial loss

>I can't imagine what Kosta is talking about with cleaning up from
>jpegging.

hmm i was not that clear... I meant that in the process of making prints, I generate PSD (which I zip/rar because the final file is smaller than tiffs), maybe Tiffs with unmerged layers or high resolution, Tiffs with no masks at 300dpi for printing, copies of first, second and X genarations of image manipulations, tiffs from my scanner, tiffs from a pro scanning shop, Jpegs for the web, and on and on...Of these I keep only the master final PSD (unless dictaded otherwise)...at this point i believe storage space and organization effort is harder than making a new jpeg again. And that was what i meant when i spoke of cleaning up...

 One does always keep a backup of the original captures,
>and another of the original corrected files, doesn't one?  Jpegging
>does no harm to the computer, its operating system, Photoshop or the
>original properly backed up tiff file.  Even iView will tell you
>where the originals are in you box of CDs, so locating them should
>not be too difficult.

Well actually i do not use software for organizing my photos....Since all come from film, I implement the film organizing method to the pc...What, where and maybe when...

Then i have a 2 major directories on finished projects (one for concert shots, one for art photos), and a series of directories that i call something like "project on the run No 4 - Monemvasia" Once all scanning and manipulation is done PSD pics are zipped in a bunch and named with the What Where method, and transfered to the storage directory and backuped in Gold Mitsui cds. And the zips stay in the hard drive.

"on the run" directories are backuped in CDRW with the refresh option of Nero. That compares cd and hard drive files and burns only the newest ones. before I tidy up the office, backup is done...

>Our computers train us to be organized since they're so literal
>minded.  But I've never seen a computer do harm to a file except the
>terrible time when the hard disc crashed on my Performa.  After than
>I stopped procrastinating on the back ups to a remote medium.

And leaving my computer to the hands of the family for about 5 months while working away, made me keep backup DVDs in another building alltogether...

enjoy, kostas

http://www.mailbox.gr ÁðïêôÞóôå äùñåÜí ôï ìïíáäéêü óáò e-mail.
http://www.thesuperweb.gr Website ìå ÁóöáëÝò Controlpanel áðü 6 Euro êáé äþñï ôï domain óáò!