Re: PF Exhibits on 23 JUL 05 reply to Howard et. al.

Steve - another one of....
I have always liked Weston's peppers and I also like the twisting form you
have captured here. But unless it's the web image at fault it looks as
though the highlights are badly over-cooked, so the detail in the
highlights has been destroyed.
Have you tried printing darker and to a fuller range of tones? I'm
assuming you are using "analogue" equipment!

Howard

I like your comment, Howard, and let me add something for all to think
about.  Bear in mind, my generation is the Medium is the Message generation.

Unlike many of our contributors, I am not looking at the gallery as a form
of publication.  More than that, I don't see photographer as any different
than, say -- sculpture.  So, as for the technical perfections, or
imperfections in MY pictures . . .I see them up on the gallery screen as
objects that, in fact -- stand out from the rest.  In so much as they are
replicas of hand crafted pieces, the flaws seem to show them as objects and
not simply images.  This is not meant to be a glib statement, but promotes a
long discussion.

As for the specific mention of the burned out highlights, it needs
elaboration in the fact that as a collection of over a hundred pictures of
thesame thing, the theme of this and Weston's peppers is meant as a study on
light and form.  My thesis continues as within this study, there is value in
the lack of clarity to represent form differently than what can be shown as
with the naked eye.  Photography that can call our attention to specific
objects, and points of view, angles and prospectives; this medium can be
highlighted for a different perspective upon the form as well.  For, when
seeing all these pictures together, it will be possible without much effort
to see the same pepper in different light . . . some light that actually
burns out some of the shape.

Thanks for noticing.  The similarities with digital or electronic
photographic manipulation is not too far from film and chemical picture
making.  And, it was Brett Weston who insisted no every photograph is all
that different than a painting.  More on THAT later, too.

Thanks

Steve Shapiro

More to come