Follow to Steve's Comments and thoughts on Colour blindness

Steve - thanks for your comment on my comment...!

-----Original Message----- (shortened)

In so much as they are replicas of hand crafted pieces, the flaws seem
to show them as objects and not simply images.  This is not meant to be
a glib statement, but promotes a long discussion.

My thesis continues as within this study, there is value in
the lack of clarity to represent form differently than what can be shown
as
with the naked eye.  Photography that can call our attention to specific
objects, and points of view, angles and prospectives; this medium can be
highlighted for a different perspective upon the form as well.  For,
when
seeing all these pictures together, it will be possible without much
effort
to see the same pepper in different light . . . some light that actually
burns out some of the shape.

And, it was Brett Weston who insisted no every photograph is all
that different than a painting.  More on THAT later, too.

Thanks

Steve Shapiro

More to come

--------------------------

One of the things I like about this forum are the comments people make
about their own work, unlike those in so many others. I take on board
your statements.

I also believe that photographs can never be precise or accurate in
their definition of a subject. Nor should they necessarily try. For
example, how can a photograph reproduce the observation of a
colour-blind photographer for the benefit of the fully sighted viewer -
or vice-versa? Both see things and relations in ways the other doesn't.
Neither is wrong and neither is right - both simply are.
Colour blindness for the majority affected, like myself, does not mean
my world is colourless, but that there are fewer colours and these are
difficult to define. I seem to have got used to the questions "What
colours do you see?" or "What colour is this then?" and "How can you
take colour photographs?" (With a camera and colour film, maybe?)
Interestingly, all texts on colour photography seem to forget that a
very large number of keen photographers (~8%) are colour blind! Maybe
there's a book in there for someone...

Looking forward to more Shapiro observations!!

Howard