Re: Anyone still using Cibachrome? In Australia?

Guys,

Cibachrome materials are now branded as Ilfochrome Classic--or at least it was three years ago.  The chemistry is incredibly stable and If I recall correctly, so is the paper.

This stuff is about as archival as any photographic color print material can be.

Steve, if I were in the land of OZ, I'd rent a place to store it and keep it for myself.  Definitely save the chemistry and the processor--the processor is irreplaceable.

Three years ago I bought a "lifetime" supply of 35mm Cibachrome microfilm stock, both perf and non-perf, as well as a supply of chemicals.  Other than having a low density (designed for archival color microfilm, not highly saturated chromes for reproduction or large projection), it is very precise in color reproduction providing one controls the color temperature of the lighting, and a precise 0.5 second exposure.

Obviously, this is a highly prejudiced personal opinion, but I expect that Cibachrome prints and transparencies will outperform CD-R in longevity.

Good Luck,

Bill Pettit