Re: Gallery Comments

Gregory Fraser wrote:

Photos here http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html.

This review is sort of negative but I don't get to pick when I have time to review so here you go.

Howard Leigh (River Stowe, Canterbury, June 2005) - The vertical format of this image makes me feel claustrophobic. I would like to enjoy the scenery (I find it so strange to see homes built in water) I just want to get out of here.

Greg Fraser
Past Master of Funk
http://home.golden.net/~fraserg

A very interesting comment - in fact the scene, I felt, lent itself to portrait format not landscape. And indeed, it is intended to be claustrophobic! Because in the period when these buildings were constructed they were so on top of each other, life must have been claustrophobic for the residents of Canterbury (and throughout England.) Which raises an interesting question - do members of this and other forums want the images to be always aesthetically pleasing or challenging? Perhaps my image was more successful than I thought.

Thanks Greg,

Howard

P.S. The exam period for my students is now over - their work has been doubly assessed and I can now complete a not so little gallery of their work. More news, hopefully, after the weekend. Come September, currently over 70 students will be winging my way, maybe more...to study this wonderful medium.