Re: card formatting in digicam? [WAS] Re: Can someone explain this image from D70 (Bride's image)

Terry said unto the world upon 20/06/2005 10:10:
They only thing I know about reformatting the card is that when I had a problem I called the techs, explained the problem, and the first thing they asked me was if I had been formatting the card, I told them no, they said I should be, since I started formatting the card each time I have had no problems, knock on wood, after that I read an article about formatting the cards in "Digital photopro" magazine basically it said the same thing, and that you should be formatting the card in the camera you are going to be using it in, and if you are using Mac computers NEVER format the card with the computer because it will not work in the camera again.
Terry L. Mair
Mair's Photography
158 South 580 East
Midway, Utah 84049
435-654-3607
www.mairsphotography.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian van den Broek" <bvande@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2005 12:16 AM
Subject: card formatting in digicam? [WAS] Re: Can someone explain this image from D70 (Bride's image)

Hi all,

In a thread responding to Srinivasa Regeti's query about a digital shot with goofy colours:

<snip comments from original thread suggesting formatting the card each use might help>

The idea that one ought format the card each use is news to me. I've taken 1000's of shots with 1 CF card and my Canon Powershot S30, never formatting. Have I been lucky? Is formatting each use a common practise? What's the rationale?

Thanks and best,

Brian vdB

Thanks Terry (and to Lacomphoto@xxxxxxx who answered the question on the original thread before I'd even asked it :-),

That does feel disconcertingly close to being magic, though. Oh well.

Best to all,

Brian vdB