card formatting in digicam? [WAS] Re: Can someone explain this image from D70 (Bride's image)

Hi all,

In a thread responding to Srinivasa Regeti's query about a digital shot with goofy colours:

Jess Lozano said unto the world upon 20/06/2005 01:38:

<Snip>

> At first I thought it was a
> problem with the memory card, but reformatting the
> cards did not solve the problem.

<Snip>

> --- Terry <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>

>>Do you format the card each time you use it?
>>Terry L. Mair

The idea that one ought format the card each use is news to me. I've taken 1000's of shots with 1 CF card and my Canon Powershot S30, never formatting. Have I been lucky? Is formatting each use a common practise? What's the rationale?

Thanks and best,

Brian vdB