Re: Digital camera-half press

On 6/17/05 10:44 AM, "Shyrell Melara" <shyrellmelara@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I know these pictures may not be anything special, but I would like some
> helpful suggestions, all sorts. I'm having a gallery showing next month and am
> putting together a series of floral shots. I have re-sized the pictures on
> this page so they will come in faster. Sorry for any inconvenience the first
> time around.

Shyrell,

You might try diffusing the light.  These have that 'harsh light of day'
look about them.  A white sheet between the flower and the harsh light would
help a bunch.

Technical issues aside, these images don't really evoke any emotional
response in me whatsoever.  They seem to be more like images for an
encyclopedia rather than flower portraits intended to stir some visceral
reaction.  Perhaps that is your intent.  A flower is a flower is a flower
until it's transformed into something else by the photographer.  Treat each
flower as a crafted portrait, not a 'floral shot'.  Just making that mental
leap should improve your images 100%.  You need to pay attention to lighting
the same way would would when crafting a portrait of a person, perhaps more
so.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Lawrence