Re: Digital camera

Marilyn <marilyn@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Digital question:
>
> I have a question from students I am unable to answer, so I am
> bringing it to the experts.
>
> A student who owns two digital cameras says when he pushes the shutter
> release it takes the camera seconds to respond and he sometimes misses
> the shot (I think I read something about this on PF).   Does something
> need setting on the camera?    Is this normal for a digital camera?
> One of his cameras is a Kodak, I forgot what the other is.

It's a common problem on P&S cameras, even the film ones.  Also, he's
probably combining the focus time (which is longer on P&S cameras than
on AF SLRs) with the "real" shutter delay.  With most cameras, you can
prefocus by half-pushing the shutter button, and that gets rid of the
majority of the delay (often taking a multi-second operation down to a
small fraction of a second).

The bad news is that even 2/10 of a second of actual shutter delay is
disastrous for many kinds of photography.  For a near-worst-case, try
kittens playing :-).