Re: darkroom chemicals

I shoot black and white on Kodak TMax, either 120 roll film or 4x5" sheet film. For developing the negatives I use:

a) Kodak TMax Developer (condensed liquid). Needs to be diluted 1 + 4 for the working solution, I prepare only as much as I need every time.

b) Kodak D76 (powder), needs to be prepared in large quantities in hot water. Typically one bag of powder makes one gallon, and that will be sufficient for about 30 rolls of films or 180 sheet film negatives. There are also powder bags for one liter, but they are difficult to come by here in Germany.

I use the developer only once.

Handling-wise I prefer the condensed liquid: you just prepare as much as you need every time, and the concentrate will remain usable for a long time. Powder is much more of a mess (my humble opinion). However, TMax Developer should not be used for sheet film development (there is a risk of staining the negative), and since I switched over to large format I use D76 (you have those large quantities sitting in the bottles and they should be consumed within 6 months, so I use it for roll films as well).

For fixing I use Kodak TMax Fixer (condensed liquid), also needs 1 + 4 dilution. I typically make 540ml quantities. That is twice the amount I need for rotary processing, and it also would work for small tank manual processing. This is good for about 8 rolls of film - fixer can be reused.

I use only fixer and developer, no stop bath, no watering agent and none of the other handful of chemicals that Kodak is suggesting. Instead of a stop bath I do a 5 times watering between developing and fixing (other list members are free to scream and yell here). Results are fine.

So, summary is: if TMax concentrated liquid would work for sheet films I would stick to that, since I shoot sheet film I use D76 instead and get used to messing around.

I don't do darkroom processing of prints. I scan the negatives and go digital from that point on.

Regards,
Thomas Greutmann (www.blackandwhitegallery.de)