Re: Advice, please, re: labeling purchased photos...

Congratulations, Tim!

Here is the way I go about these things.

I label my prints as "Limited printing of 5" and list underneath the numbers: 1/5  2/5  3/5  etc...  If I sell a print I will stick a red dot on the appropriate number.  This helps me to keep track of my work over time.

I give a certificate to the buyer listing his name and address, my name and address, title of the work (or reference), price, reminder that the copyright remains with me forever, signed by both parties, copy in my files for future reference.

I never print the five prints ahead of time.  I normally start with 3 prints.  The first one is my proof with indications on exposure, burning, dodging, etc...; the second one is available for sale and the third one is for my portfolio.

I have "never, ever, ever" sold 5 prints from the same negative.
If I ever did, then I will raise the price so high that the demand will never, ever, ever, exceed the print run of five.

If somebody wanted to buy a print beyond the fifth print, I would regretfully turn him down.  I would then raise the price of all my other production, suggest that he buys another image and then run to the nearest wine store to buy a bottle of "Veuve Cliquot 1958" to celebrate my good fortune.

Hope this helps.   ... -:)

Guy