Re: PF Exhibits on 28 MAY 2005

Per,

I am gratified that you liked the photograph. The "technique" is one I have

been experimenting / working with for some time now. I used to copy the
Polaroid 667 (and these days the Fuji 3000) paper negative with Polaroid
Polagraph 35mm film but when that was discontinued I changed to copying
the paper neg with a digital system (camera or scanner) and then doing the
corrections "digitally". Some of the special quality imparted by the
Polagraph
is gone but flexibility, new possibilities and ease of use are gained.

Ultimately it is just the Sabattier effect at work. These days a filter in
Photoshop
or other programs makes it happen (more or less) at the push of a button. I
realize
it is by now a "traditional" special effect but for me it is still a new
discovery with
every image that I see reverse in front of my eyes on that Polaroid paper
negative.
I am currently working on an article for a photo magazine on this hybrid
approach
although this particular photograph will probably not make it to print
there.
BTW, if not obvious the model was against a black velvet backdrop.

andy

re: http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/davidhazy.html