Re: I thought this was interesting

> Most photographers looks like writers who meets around a table to
> debate of the quality of different kind of pencils, or pens and inks.>>>

Shows what you know. (smiley)

Fact is, pen collectors (and writers) do indeed debate pencils, inks, and
pens. Some of these debates often turn nasty. However, they are often useful
debates. Quality often makes the difference between a good pen or a great
pen; the occasional user. I love a Parker '51 for daily use and I have my
opinions about that pen and other pens. Collectors often have opinions just
as strong as camera people have.

We debate pen nibs and which are best. Italic, music, and fine nibs, for
example. The poor quality of some imported nibs made by mass production. We
talk of and argue about nib adjustment. We argue pen brands, of which there
are many. There are more brands and models of currently manufactured
fountain pens than cameras or film types. We argue about modern vs. vintage.

We will debate brands of inks and colors; old Schaffer blue Vs. other brands
of blue. Or why a particular brand of ink sucks. Then we detour and discuss
dye chemistry and what the hell difference does the metal used to make the
tip really make.

We debate paper types, and we debate why/if casein is better than cellulose
nitrate and if either of these materials is better or worse than cellulose
acetate. For the record, celluloid and casein are best.

We debate the poor quality of most pens made by amateur pen turners; those
folks sub-debate wood species and which wood is best for making fountain
pens. Some folks further debate pen kits and lathes.

I think every interest generates debates that some of us would find silly.
For example, stamp collectors argue about hinge Vs. no hinge. I have these
same types of debates about mandolin and banjo picks. Celluloid Vs. Tortoise
shell Vs. the various types of plastics used to make picks these days. On
the bike lists, it is Harley Vs. anything Japanese; Vincent Vs. Norton.

Bob