Re: Critiquing

Good points, Guy.   Thank you.

Marilyn
It seems to me that the key words are "making the image you intended".

Implying that the photographer should be very clear about his/her
intentions:
(a). when shooting (creating) the image -- i.e. what is the purpose of the
photographer when  activating the shutter (e.g. is it intended to be a
documentary photograph or an art work or both);
(b). when showing the image to a viewer -- e.g. is the photographer
intending to move the viewer (e.g. war pictures) or enlighten the viewer
(e.g. artistic lanscape);
(c). when choosing a class of viewer to show the image to -- e.g. is the
work intented for a broad audience or a highly specialized audience.

Failure to be clear about one's intentions on any of these three points can
lead to rather devastating critiques as I found out for myself on the
occasion of a recent exhibition...

But most important, if you haven't clarified your intentions, you can't
really benefit from the critic's comments, no matter how good (or bad),
because you don't have a valid reference point to assess their
appropriatedness.

Guy