Need Help using a manual flash

Good Morning Everyone:

I have gotten a manual flash to use with my Nikon D70. Its a Sunpack 555 Thyristor unit, and I actually love it, however, I am not sure how to properly use it. Getting it connected and making it fire is not the issue, but rather how to effectively use it to take flash pictures. In addition I have an optical slave which i can attach to an older Promaster flash, and I would like to know how to use them together with the on camera flash to the best advantage.

Specifically -- this weekend, I will be shooting individual and team pictures of a group of 11 and 12 year olds at their baseball game. I am suspecting that I am going to need some fill flash etc, and I want to do this correctly.

Any help, or suggested readings etc would be greatly appreciated.

If you need to contact me directly with questions etc, you can reach me on the list, at w8tah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, via Yahoo IM at W8TAH, or via AOL IM at W8TAHHAM

Thanks in advance for all your help

TIM