Re: Need Help using a manual flash

I don't know this flash at all. However if it is a manual flash, as you say, then it will have a scale which gives you the correct aperture to use for any given distance.
For fill flash you can use the scale as is and get pretty good results. Remember that flash has what I call  "Depth of exposure" problems. There's something called the "Inverse square law" which tells you that your light gets dimmer and dimmer as the distance from your flash increases Any aperture is only ever correct at one distance and you need to keep your subjects within a narrow range of that distance.

Herschel

"Timothy A. Holmes (W8TAH)" <w8tah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Good Morning Everyone:

I have gotten a manual flash to use with my Nikon D70. Its a Sunpack
555 Thyristor unit, and I actually love it, however, I am not sure how
to properly use it. Getting it connected and making it fire is not the
issue, but rather how to effectively use it to take flash pictures. In
addition I have an optical slave which i can attach to an older
Promaster flash, and I would like to know how to use them together with
the on camera flash to the best advantage.

Specifically -- this weekend, I will be shooting individual and team
pictures of a group of 11 and 12 year olds at their baseball game. I am
suspecting that I am going to need some fill flash etc, and I want to do
this correctly.

Any help, or suggested readings etc would be greatly appreciated.

If you need to contact me directly with questions etc, you can reach me
on the list, at w8tah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, via Yahoo IM at W8TAH, or via
AOL IM at W8TAHHAM

Thanks in advance for all your help

TIM

Herschel Mair

H.O.D. Photography Dept, Higher College of Technology
Al Khuwair
Sultinate of Oman
9899673

Yahoo! Mail