PF exhibits on 07 MAY 2005

Greetings from Norfolk, UK

Yet another set of good pictures.

James B. Davis    First Loon
A very nice study of the bird, known as the Great Northern Diver in the UK, (Scientific name Gavia Immer).  The water is well rendered, and looks 'wet',  and the bird is well defined.  The eye is lacking, I assume due to the compression needed for the submission.
I think that a crop of the foreground water could be useful, as it adds little andsits the subject very centrally, this could be done just below the rather nice reflection of the bird.

Thomas    Monet's Garden
This picture has a good lead in to the overall image, one is lead up through the water to the rockery? at the head of the water.  The large willow provides a block to the right of the picture, and there is a lot of interest in the water and plants.  This picture suffers badly lack of definition, due to limited pixels - photoshop reports only 72 per inch, and on enlarging the picture this is apparent.
The picture though is pleasant, and full of the atmosphere of a nice sunny summers day.

Pashine   Stamford University Main Quad
Never having been to Stamford University I cannot get a real feeling for this picture, it is well taken, the colours are interesting, and the siloette effect produced by the trees is interesting.  I find the composition rather too central for my taste, and the highlights in the wall/building too obtrusive, some work in subduing them would be worthwhile I think.

Gill    Bengall Tiger
A nice picture of the tiger, with the detail of the animal well defined.  I tried mirroring this picture (left to right) and found, to my taste, that the picture was improved.  I also tried masking off the (flipped) left hand side, this had some effect, but I feel that the tiger needs more space to move into.  The highlights in the grass are slightly distracting, and could usefully be recduced, without loosing them completely.
The detail in the tiger is very well defined, the wiskers being a major example of this, together with the hair in the ears.
I like the picture, but prefer it flipped left to right.

Lucas     Hard to Port
A very nice atmospheric view of a lake/sea inlet with the foreground filled by articles that are fitting to the scene, interesting in themselves, but not too distracting.  The Red and White life ring is nicely positioned, and the derigable on its mount fits in well, also the crane holding it breaks up what would otherwise be a booring sky.  The background (for want of a better term) is a very nice view of the hills and mountains, with very good recession due to the colours (blues etc).
The path which goes from bottom left to mid right, leads one through the picture with the white railings being sufficiently subdued as to not drag the eye.

Talbot      White
Obvioulsy this does something for the photographer, the contrast of colours and textures one assumes.  I am afraid that it does not appeal to me.
Purely technically it is a nice composition, with the white forming a diagonal, and the blob on an intersection of thirds.

Stevens     Conversation
A nicely presented picture, well composed, and coloured.  This picture owes a great deal to post exposure work, and the impresion of a painting is well used.  I find the loss of definition in the main subjects hair (merging with background) due to similarity of colour disturbing, and the relatively large highlight between the two subjects is somewhat distracting.  The remainder of the background is well toned down.
The impression of an evening out is present, one assumes that this was taken in an area of clubs and evening discos etc.

Leigh
A very nice, near monochrome, picture.  The reflections of the trees in the pools of water is excelent, the shapes coming together well.  It has an almost ghost or eirie quality about it.  The road/path leads one into the picture, and whilst it leaves on the left, the eye is taken up via the gap between the two main trees to view all the picture.  A nice picture, but I would find it dusturbing if hung on my wall.

Jeff Spirer   Prayer
A beautiful caught in the moment black and white picture.  The subject is well rendered, with the background very well subdued.  The man standing behing the subject is not intrsive, and the subject is presented in a very powerful picture.  The rope going off to the right could have been subdued slightly, but too much of this would have removed the atmosphere of the ring.

Wrigley   The old mill
This is my picture    I will not comment, that is up to others please.

Richard.
"I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which when looked at in
the right way, did not become still more complicated"
Poul Anderson

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.