Re: 35 mm film

You could always run a few rolls to test it before doing anything really important with it.

Lea

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Blakely" <Bob@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 15, 2005 10:16 AM
Subject: Re: 35 mm film

You didn't say what type of film...

If it's B&W, it's still good.

If color print and no expiration date, very, very high probability it's still good. Even if it falls in the low probability of not perfect, any color shift can be pretty much corrected at printing. Fogging is highly unlikely for just a few years. Entirely acceptable for personal/family use.

If color print with an expiration date, very, very high probability it's still good film, but dated film bought from the refrigerator may shift color while unrefrigerated for long periods. Still, any color shift can be pretty much (mostly) corrected at printing. Fogging is highly unlikely for just a few years. I be wary of mixing it with fresh film of the same type for the same shoot where color fidelity/consistency is important. Entirely acceptable for personal/family use.

Undated chromes may be another matter (I suppose) in as much as no correction can be made for any color shifts due to long storage (unless you print it, I guess.) It's probably still fine though.

I've never played with out of date chromes.

I'd throw old, unrefrigerated infrared film away, but that's just me.

FYI, I used some old Kodak PJ1600 (no longer manufactured) that sat in the trunk of my car for six years. The color of the prints was still good (for that type of film) and there was no noticeable fog. I have no idea what compensation the printer may have made though.

Regards,
Bob...
"A picture is worth a thousand  words,
but it uses up three thousand times the  memory."

From: "Sherrie A. Taylor" <sataylor1246@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello,

Recently I was located a few roll of films in one of my draw, and they
are still in container with out any expiration date on it.  Are these
films any good, or I just toss them away.  BTW I am sure they are over a
years old.  Thank you in advance.
--
Sherrie A. Taylor <sataylor1246@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>