To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2005 8:54 PM
Subject: Re: saving jpegs in another format?

On Fri, 13 May 2005 19:29:19 -0700 (PDT), herschel mair
<herschelmair@xxxxxxxxx> wrote/replied to:

Once you flatten the image then everything is cast in stone, as it were, but the thing to do is flatten it and save it as a JPEG 12 for sending to the lab (On a CD or whatever) once it's gone to the lab you delete the JPG from the computer.and keep the PSD file as a master. When you output, you save in the appropriate format for the output and always keep the PSD as an original.

Not me. I use Capture One. This incredible program allows me to make all my adjustments to my RAW images and save as JPG 12, which goes directly to print. But, I don't have to save any TIF files. Capture One remembers all the settings I made so I can recreate a JPG any time in the future.

Of course for the odd file that really needs some Photoshop tweaking,
I do save a TIF or a PSD with layers. But not that many actually.

Capture One does all adjustments I usually need, and makes it really
easy to see the results live as you make them. Capture One can view
JPGs but it can't do anything to them. That's OK, camera JPGs suck,
sorry. They just do. If I want a compressed tonal range with blown out
highlights and muddy shadows I shoot JPG. Or if I want a small image
quick for the web.

-- Jim Davis, Owner, Eastern Beaver Company http://easternbeaver.com/ Relay Kits - Powerlet Products - Posi-Lock Products Wiring Kits, Fusebox Kits, Parts, Information