From: herschel mair
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2005 11:56 AM
Subject: Re: saving jpegs in another format?

You don't lose or chamge anything in the original if you use adjustment layers. The original image stays the same and you just change the adjustment layers which you can delete anytime you like. If you use the adjustments directly such as colour balance or hue and saturation then you do lose each time you change. But if you use a colour balance adjustment layer or a hue and sat. adjustment layer, then the changes are independent of the original image. You save all the adjustment layers in a PSD file.

Herschel

Terry <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello Herschel
I think you still loose information each time you adjust a photo file weather you use PS or another photo editing program, and no matter what format you save it to, just by making a simple color change you loose information do this enough and you start to get banding, there is no way around it make enough changes to the same image file and you will loose it, and I don't think layers will help assuming you make the adjustments and flatten the image for printing.
At lease this is what I have been told in my work flow seminars, and have read in digital photo pro, and rangefinder mag, to name two.

Personally I am not a fan of jpg, I only shoot jpg when I am taking snapshots and know I will not be making adjustments to them and just want them for memories, every thing else is shot as RAW, and most are saved as RAW, the exception to this are photos that I have worked on to correct color and remove unwanted items and are sold as fine art, those are saved as TIFF files, and I am not advocating TIFF over the other non lossy formats it is just what I am familiar with, once I have my files ready to print ( in the case of portraits ) I do convert to jpg and then FTP them to my printers, tests have shown that once all the changes have been made to a photo file and then converted to jpg it makes no difference in printing, my lab took TIFF files, printed them then converted the files to JPG printed them again in large print sizes and you could not see any difference, but no changes where made to the file once it was converted to JPG.
Terry L. Mair
Mair's Photography
158 South 580 East
Midway, Utah 84049