To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 9:56 AM
Subject: Re: Bride vs Photographer

In a message dated 5/9/2005 6:30:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
mkmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

what  strategies are people using to back up their work?
it seems, especially  with digital, there must be many creative ways
to lower the risk of the  loss of images.

Not creative, burn two dvd's immediately from the raw files, put the DVD's in
black light proof containers with a date label on the outside and reduplicate
every two years. Also burn a collection of good images in PSD format on a
DVD+RW until it's eventually full then burn another two DVD's. I have many
more DVD's than I could ever need but I've had hard drives fail every couple
of years. never had a DVD fail yet, but there was an article somewhere that I
read about UV degradation over two years, so I got paranoid.