backing up digital capture

Many are using DVD now to back up. I keep one set of CD backups at a remote location. I burn a CD of each capture as long as it approximates the size of a CD, and either the folder has two sub-folders - "origs" and "keepers" - in it, or the keepers get burned with others of the same subject at a later time.

On my computer I keep a folder of jpegs, sorted by place and/or subject. Every keeper gets a jpeg made of it and put into this folder, so I have a reference to all my keepers. Included with ever keeper is full IPTC info, including the date of creation, so that, especially with slides and print film, I can locate the actual original piece of film by date.

My slides are filed in hanging pages in file cabinets and my negs are in chronological order in 3-ring binders.

Unfortunately I cannot keep them remotely at this point.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx