Re: photography

"Emily L. Ferguson" <elf@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> RAW files are only twice the size of jpegs on my camera anyway.  RAW
> is a compression too.

6x on mine (a clear-cut flaw in the camera; it's because too much
processing is done before the "raw" file is written).

Raw files "should be" 1.5 x megapixels in bytes, assuming actual
12-bit data and a real raw file that stores the actual sensor values
for each pixel, before processing.  Well, plus some minor overhead for
EXIF-type data and a thumbnail, and minus whatever lossless
compression may be applied.

My Fuji S2 is a 6 megapixel camera, so the raw file ought to be about
9 megapixels, but it's actually 12.  I'm pretty sure they do the
interpolation up to a rectangular grid in the camera, and write the
"raw" file as if it's a 12 megapixel camera (and then the compression
balances out the 1.5x).  Dunno if the details are true, but the raw
files definitely are 12 megabytes, which apart from anything else,
take *forever* to write to the card!  And I can't check the histogram
until the write is complete.  As I say, this is the one clear-cut
design flaw in this camera.

(I suspect that they wanted *not* to leave the interpolation from
diamond grid to rectangular grid to external software, perhaps
thinking it would limit third-party support for their raw format.
They may even have been right about that part.)