Re: photography

I think, my earlier thinking [about the so called "compressed raw" that Emily suggested] may be correct. It seems that Nikon changes the bit depth of its "raw" data from 12 bits (true for both canon and nikon) to 9.4 bits, thus reducing the levels of information (a reduction from 2^12 to 2^9.2). So, it is a loss of information's dynamic range.
I think following site explains it little better:

http://www.majid.info/mylos/weblog/2004/05/02-1.html

I am at loss as to why it is done by Nikon (may be to preserve proprietory coding of raw?).
-Achal

On 4/28/05, Bob Talbot <BobTalbot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> RAW files are only twice the size of jpegs on my camera anyway.  RAW
> is a compression too.

Emily

At a risk of being wrong ...

strictly raw need not be a compression, it simply does not undergo the
factor of 3 bloat (from the R, G or B to RGB) that non-raw formats
require even before you start to compress them.

Bob

--
Achal Pashine
achalpashine.blogspot.com