Re: Best technical text on photography.

IMHO, the best best source of technical information on any subject is, by far, the PhotoForum discussion group. But beware, you may not always get a single answer to your question...

As the next best source, I would suggest
"Basic Photography: Materials and Processes"
Stroebel, Compton, Current & Zakia
Focal Press

This is not bedtime reading but it will provide you with a real understanding of the issues you're refering to. I keep going back to it when I'm stuck with a problem.

Guy