RE: photography

I was introduced to photography as a child but was not allowed to use chemicals.  I would use a developed film and print on to printing-out paper put in a window under the film in the sun.  After an hour or so the image was visible.  I think I was allowed to use salt (NaCl) to fix the image.

I later experimented with lens in a tube and copper plates as a sensitive material.  I would make an image in silver and gold on copper.  At first it was exposing the plate directly using a lens.  I found much later that it was impractical to use an enlarger and film with copper plate.

I do not have any of these images.

My first camera was a Kodak box brownie and that has long since disappeared.  I took photos of all kinds all over the place.  Eventually I was allowed to develop and print with contact prints.  As a child I did not cotton on to an enlarger and as my family’s budget was very limited, purchase was not possible.

Only recently did I start any attempt at commercial photography and it was only when I retired that any money made from this artistry became significant.

Although I am a bit artistic most of my photographic interest has been technical.  I now use a pocket digital and a computer to process the image into a painterly effect.  Printing is by a commercial internet printing company and my works are on sale in a local art gallery where I have befriended the president.  I hope to find other art galleries who will host my images.

A five-year attempt to sell over the “world wide web” resulted in one sale and this has been abandoned after a fair amount of expense.   I only advertise the gallery now with my images as samples on the web.

Now I try to find images that will sell rather than just for my own pleasure.  Giving pleasure to another person, gives me pleasure too, but I like to make a profit.  I cost each sale and price at what my customers will pay.   The bigger my profit the better I feel.  It makes any artistry seem worthwhile – and I can spend it….

Chris.