Re: Hmmm

Marilyn <marilyn@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi PF Members,
>
> Some time ago there was a discussion about what to call a "print" made
> by placing objects on a scanner and converting the scan to a print.
> There is a festival in my area and in the photographic/fine arts area
> are prints made just that way.    A viewer of the prints does not know
> this is how the prints are made.   (I helped hang work in both areas
> and was told behind the scenes.)
>
> It seems the creators of such prints don't want viewers of the work to
> know this is how the prints are made, which indicates to me they don't
> feel comfortable with the method.

I suspect it's more they don't think *others* will feel comfortable
with the method, actually.

> In actuality, the prints are very nice and have a distinct quality all
> their own - an almost three dimensional look.   Perhaps this method
> (scanning objects) should be an art onto itself.   However,
> photographers/artists (and I have to admit - me too) are not too sure
> how to feel about this method of printmaking.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the subject.

There is no such thing as an invalid artistic technique.  I do prefer
people make artwork with some permanence, but some artists have
deliberately gone the other direction, and that's legitemate too.  The
primary job of the artist is "vision" and editorial selection; it
doesn't matter if they cut pictures out of magazines and paste them
together, or create photo-realistic billboards one pixel at a time on
their computer, or use any other possible technique, to present their
selected vision.  (Well, it matters *a lot*, in that the medium is at
least *part* of the message; but it's not a "right and wrong" thing,
it's a "worked this time" vs. "didn't work this time" thing.)

I think a lot of art is dumb and meaningless, but that's me not
finding the artist's vision interesting; it has nothing to do with the
technique.  I also find a fair amount of art clumsily executed, which
*is* an argument about technique; but it's still just my opinion.  And
I find the people who deliberately go out after extreme techniques to
be mostly performing a disservice rather than otherwise.