Acrylic cleaning

Since I do a lot of work with acrylic I have been very concerned about the
issues of cleaning and removing static. I did a significant amount of research
and talked with people in the acrylic industry and cleaning product
manufacturers. Those of you framing with acrylic might be interested in my
findings.

After a lot of testing in my shop of acrylic with acrylic dust, static charge,
grease and dirt, I concluded Brillianize (www.brillianize.com) was the best.
The runner up product was Craftics (www.craftics.com) 20/20 cleaner and 20/20
polish. The 20/20 cleaner was a little quicker at removing basic smudges than
Brillianize. Brillianze left the surface with more of a polish but more
importantly, objects behind the acrylic seem just a little sharper. If you use
20/20 polish it will add the polish but this is a two-step process and the
Brillianize coated acrylic is still sharper. Of course, the really nice thing
in either case, is the lack of static charge. After applying Brillianize I
actually prefer final frame assembly with acrylic over glass because it is
lighter and safer to work with.

I also tested cleaning cloths. Briallianze makes ?softkloth? which was included
in the test along with some others. My testing concluded that the Craftics
?Microfiber Smooth Towel? was the best and the Craftics ?Microfiber Terry
Cloth? was a close 2nd. The terry cloth was similar to other more common
microfiber cloths and it had a good ability to pull dust. The smooth towel was
more like a combination of microfiber technology and chamois. Although the
terry was a little easier at just removing simple dust the smooth towel was
best at getting rid of that last streak and getting the most ultimate clean.

Mark

Mark Rogers
Frame Destination, Inc.
http://www.framedestination.com