Re: Tech vs Image

Clearness and definition is not sharpness? Gee. Thanks for the lesson, David.

S.
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Dyer-Bennet" <dd-b@xxxxxxxx>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2005 9:01 AM
Subject: Re: Tech vs Image

Jeff Spirer <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

At 10:36 PM 4/10/2005, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
Well, ask the F/64 group; they seemed to think it was part of their
vision.

David - That's not what they said. The f64 manifesto is as follows:

The name of this Group is derived from a diaphragm number of the
photographic lens. It signifies to a large extent the qualities of
clearness and definition of the photographic image which is an
important element in the work of members of this Group.

[snip]

There is nothing about sharpness.  There is quite a bit about a view
of photography, one that they used sharpness to realize.

I don't see the magnitude of distinction between "clearness and
definition" and "sharpness and contrast" that you apparently do.
The choice of name is also relevant here, it seems to me.